The current challenge facing today’s farmers is accessing farmland that has all of the following characteristics:
- Available: There must be enough land for everyone who wants to farm.
- Appropriate: Land must be suitable for a successful farm operation.
- Affordable: The farmer must be able to purchase or rent the property.
- Accessible: The farmer must have physical and legal access to the land
- Secure: The farmer must have adequate security of use of the land to make investments in the business and the land.
- Equitable: There must be an equitable assignment of land rights and obligations. Farmers’ opportunity to build equity must also be considered.